Category: Community

Grow Broomcorn for Making Brooms & Fall Decor

Grow Broomcorn for Making Brooms & Fall Decor

| October 22, 2015 | Reply

Grow Broomcorn for Making Brooms & Fall Decor – Follow my three-year adventure growing broomcorn, with the original intention of making my own broom. Tip: you have to grow more than one row to make a broom! With original music by Jon Pileggi. Give it a try! It’s fun and broomcorn makes a beautiful border even if you […]

Read More

Go Out of Your Way – Home Depot

Go Out of Your Way – Home Depot

| October 21, 2015 | 2 Replies

Go out of your way. ~ As I was taking leave after my interview with Barefoot Farmer in the spring, he complimented me for making the trip to meet him. “There are two kinds of people in the world, those that go out of their way, and those that don’t,” I found myself saying. That’s something I’d […]

Read More

Lament for a Garden Hat and a Teacup

Lament for a Garden Hat and a Teacup

| October 7, 2015 | 4 Replies

Lament for a Garden Hat and a Teacup – What is it about the familiarity of certain objects that makes you feel so cozy? (A friend uses the word “cozy” often, and every time she says it, I feel cozy.) After a number of ill-fitting misses in my first two years of gardening, I found a […]

Read More

Late Bloomer as Web Fest Nominee

Late Bloomer as Web Fest Nominee

| September 28, 2015 | 1 Reply

Late Bloomer as Web Fest Nominee (UPDATE – WINNER, BEST EDUTAINMENT) – When I started “Late Bloomer” in the spring of 2012 (with my new iPhone 4), I thought, with my background as an actress and having made a couple of short films, I could produce interesting videos that might inspire people to grow their […]

Read More

On the Road: Farm to Table in Pinewood

On the Road: Farm to Table in Pinewood

| September 22, 2015 | 3 Replies

Files from the Road: Farm to Table in Pinewood, fourth in a series. This story begins with a lettuce-wrapped grass-fed-and-finished burger and homemade potato chips, and ends with a gluten-free hummus veggie pizza. I’ve written this before. When I go home to Tennessee, as I did last week, I ask myself, “What am I going […]

Read More

On the Road: Growing Loofah

On the Road: Growing Loofah

| September 20, 2015 | 10 Replies

Files from the Road: Growing Loofah, third in a series. Ask any five people (I did) and they will tell you they thought loofah sponge came from the sea. Sheri Martin Bulla grows loofah (also spelled luffa) for sponges on a strip of her 30-acre farm out in the country in Hickman County, Tennessee. I drove on […]

Read More

On the Road: Muscadine Harvest

On the Road: Muscadine Harvest

| September 16, 2015 | 2 Replies

Files from the Road: Muscadine Harvest, second in a series. I have a friend who had wanted for years to try his hand at winemaking. He planted a vineyard and made some wine. When that turned out well, he quit his job and started growing grapes and making wine full-time. That was a few years […]

Read More

On the Road: History of a House

On the Road: History of a House

| September 14, 2015 | 2 Replies

Files from the Road: History of a House is the first post in a series of my travels on the East Coast. First stop, my hometown in Tennessee, where I stay in a house that is 107 years old. Owned by only five families, two of those have been friends of mine. Situated on the top of […]

Read More

Two 20-minute Farm Box Recipes

Two 20-minute Farm Box Recipes

| August 29, 2015 | Reply

I thought you might enjoy two 20-minute farm box recipes. If you follow Late Bloomer, you know that I am a 20-minute cook. Recipes that take longer and are complicated I leave to the professionals! So, I’m always interested in creating tasty, FAST, home-prepared meals on the Fridays I receive my farm box. There is […]

Read More

Save Time and Money Regrowing Food

Save Time and Money Regrowing Food

| August 13, 2015 | Reply

Save time and money regrowing food. People tell me all the time they just don’t have the time (or the money) to start a garden. But, did you realize how many foods you can regrow from scraps? You can have quite a nifty little garden in your kitchen window if you save your scraps and […]

Read More